To the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, in Legislature Assembled:
We, the undersigned residents of Alberta, petition the Legislative Assembly to urge the Government of Alberta to take all necessary steps to achieve the following:
1) Implement evidence-based solutions to address current gaps in Alberta’s organ donation and transplantation procurement system, and
2) Develop policies and legislative initiatives to address current and future priorities with respect to organ donation and transplantation, including
OUR IMMEDIATE ASK
• Establish specifically trained Donation Teams (specialized in donor identification, donor referral and donor management).
• Implement continuous and Real-Time Audits, as an essential best practice in urban and large rural centres.
• Introduction of a Bill to amend current legislation to replace the system of mandatory consideration of donors with a system of mandatory referral of donors by doctors, and to implement the provisions found in Bill 205, Human Tissue and Organ Donation (Presumed Consent) Amendment Act, 2019;
• Create a culture of organ donation by improving public awareness of the need and benefits of organ donations (i.e. one donor can save up to 8 lives through organ Donation and improve quality of life for 75 others through tissue donation);
• Establishment of a pan-Alberta donation and transplantation system with dedicated full-time leadership, an efficient structure and the infrastructure required to be effective and accountable;
• Establishment of dedicated donation and transplant facilities, including prioritized operating room access in hospitals, consistent with best-performing jurisdictions;
• Development of a user-friendly donor registration system to facilitate donations.
CC: Jason Kenney, Premier of Alberta
Tyler Shandro, Minister of Health
Rachel Notley, Leader of Her Majesty’s Opposition
David Shepherd, Opposition Health Critic
All Alberta Members of the Legislative Assembly